Book for POTENTIAL CORPORATE TRAINERS/ MENTORS
Defensive driving is not a question of driving faster than other drivers, but it is the tireless pursuit of excellence in driving skills.
Profile of a Defensive Driver…
- Defensive Driving is identifying the mistakes you often make: aiming to reduce, and eventually to eliminate them.
- Defensive Drivers make fewer errors than others – one simple error can kill a coach load of people if it was committed at the wrong time.
- Defensive Driving is not about being better than everyone else, but it is about being better than you were.
- Passing a Defensive driving test whilst on your best driving behaviour is no good if you do not maintain that standard in your normal day-to-day driving..
- A Defensive Driver never stops learning.
- A Defensive Driver is continually looking for opportunities to improve.
- A Defensive Driver uses his skill to keep out of trouble not to get out of trouble.
- A Defensive Driver would prefer to be late in this world than arrive early into the next one.
- The best drivers are those who actively improve all their skills.
- A Defensive Driver shows courtesy, consideration and respect for others on the road
How do you gain Defensive Driving Skills?
- Always take the correct position – follow your safety line.
- Keep the correct speed to match your safe following distance. ‘Only a fool breaks the two-second rule’.
- Look as far ahead as you can in order to plan your driving effectively.
- Use your mirrors to constantly update where other drivers are in the road around you.
- Signal correctly your intentions to inform other drivers.
- Change your position only when you are sure it is safe.
- Decelerate or brake only once for each hazard.
- Change gear only once for each hazard - skipping gears, is acceptable where necessary.
- When the road is clear, accelerate away from the hazard.
- Expect the unexpected always and make allowances for the mistakes of others.
- Anticipate the worst; and, by concentrating, always to drive at your best standard.
This is a Driver Training & Testing Publication
- ©2013 Manor Heights SOUTHAMPTON SO18 1JB